I think most of us would agree that sweet things go pretty well with crunchy, salty pretzels. These cupcakes are moist and chocolately, and the pretzels go really well with the creamy, smooth butter icing. If pressed for time you can make a large cake, decorate with the icing then arrange the pretzels on top. Either way, it’s a wining combination.
125 grams butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup / 165 grams sugar
2 cups / 300 grams self raising flour
2 tablespoons Dutch cocoa
1/3 cup / 90 mls milk
250 grams butter, softened
3 cups / 240 grams icing sugar
4 tablespoons Dutch cocoa, sifted
4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and place patty pans in cake trays.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, and add eggs one at a time. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. If the mix seems a little stiff add a dash more milk.
- Spoon the batter into the cases – I use a small ice cream scoop for this so that they are all the same size.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. When they are done turn them out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
- To make the icing add the butter to a bowl and beat until very well mixed, and pale in colour. Add the icing sugar, cocoa and milk and beat until well combined.
- Place the icing in a bag with a star nozzle and decorate. Top each cupcake with a pretzel.