I know there are loads of recipes around for cupcakes, but this is my favourite. And it’s no coincidence it comes form one of my favourite cookbooks, The Australian Women’s Weekly Bake. Everything in this book is awesome. I’ve piped these cakes with Vienna frosting, but you can drizzle with glace icing, make some fudge frosting, whatever you fancy.
125 grams butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup / 165 grams sugar
2 cups / 300 grams self raising flour
¼ cup / 60 mls milk
250 grams butter, softened
3 cups / 240 grams icing sugar
4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and place patty pans in cake trays.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, and add eggs one a t a time. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the cases – I use a small ice cream scoop for this so that they are all the same size.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. When they are done turn them out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
- To make the icing add the butter to a bowl and beat until very well mixed, and pale in colour. Add the icing sugar and milk and beat until well combined.
- Place the icing in a bag with a star nozzle and decorate.