Boom! – Violent Femmes Tour And Album Release this week.
The legendary band’s triumphant return to Australian Shores
for their brilliant new album ‘We Can Do Anything’- (March 4 Universal)
and sold out National Tour all begins this week.
The boys arrive from New Zealand on Thursday and wake up early on Fridayfor their Sunrise spot
– then they head to Taronga Zoo and Days on the Green on the weekend –Truly Non Stop and that’s just week 1.
See below for some more of whats in store plus some quotes and fun facts –
- ‘We Can Do Anything’ is the ninth album from Violent Femmes and is out Friday 4th March, via UMA in Au + NZ.
- Their 14-date tour of Australia and NZ, from 1st March – 19th March is sold out.
- Violent Femmes performed the first single from the album, ‘Memory’ on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert yesterday. See the performance here (note innovative use of Weber BBQ)…and a truly magical encore performance of Blister In The Sun, with Colbert (who is a big fan) taking over lead vocals.
- Violent Femmes formed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1981.
- The band were ‘discovered’ by Pretenders guitarist James Honeyman-Scott in 1981, busking outside the Milwaukee venue the Pretenders were playing that night.
- Violent Femmes self-titled debut album, released in 1983, is the definition of a cult-sleeper hit. It hit platinum in the US and reached its chart peak (#171), 8 years after its release.
- Australia has always been Violent Femmes biggest per-capita territory; with six Top 50 albums here. (Highest overall US placing; #84 in 1986).
- Violent Femmes perform on Australian TV for the very first time on Channel 7 ‘Sunrise’ on the morning of the global release date of their album, Friday week 4th March.
- Violent Femmes are Double J’s ‘Artist In Residence’ for March, curating station playlists over the month, with retrospective features and guest host spots across the month with associated online and socials support.
- Most people will know Violent Femmes from their teen-angst anthems‘Blister In The Sun’, ‘Add It Up’ and ‘I Held Her In My Arms’.
- Founding member and bassist Brian Ritchie calls Hobart home. He has curated Mona Foma every year since 2009. He is a master of the Shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute).
- Their 1983 single ‘Done Daddy Gone’ (which featured two xylophone solos) was covered by Gnarls Barkley on their 2006 ‘St Elsewhere’ album – itself a Billboard #4 album.
- Violent Femmes returned the favour by covering Gnarls Barkley’s‘Crazy’ in 2008. Gnarls Barkley’s review: “I might compare it to a calm pond. I caught my reflection in it. And I seemed to be momentarily at peace. This track sounds entirely different in the rain, and supports some intriguing lilypads.”
- Violent Femmes headlined the very first Big Day Out in 1992 (at that time a Sydney-only event). Nirvana were also on the bill.
- World exclusive t-shirt, art-card, album and vinyl bundles for the new album are available on the official Australian Violent Femmes store.
- ‘We Can Do Anything’ is available on transparent green vinyl (exclusive to Australia…see it unboxed and played on Gramovox®), alongside CD & digital formats. Hear the first single ‘Memory’ (playlisted on double J)now.
Violent Femmes’ ninth studio album and first full-length collection in more than 15 years, We Can Do Anything is among the most provocative and playful in the legendary band’s remarkable canon. As the title makes plain, founding Femmes Gano and Brian Ritchie (acoustic bass guitar, vocals) remain intrepid as ever before, traversing infinite genre and emotion via their immediately identifiable mash of rambunctious folk, minimalist punk, cubist blues, cosmic jazz, and back porch rock ‘n’ roll.
“What the Femmes are,” says Ritchie, “and I think we always have been, is a repository for American roots music. Most people think of us as a kind of rock band but we’re a lot more than that and I think this album represents all that in a really natural, cohesive way. It just flows smoothly between all these ideas.”
Violent Femmes will celebrate WE CAN DO ANYTHING with a full-scale tour of Australasia on the week of release.
THE VIOLENT FEMMES – ON TOUR For up to the minute news and information see www.vfemmes.com/tour.html.
THE VIOLENT FEMMES – ON TOUR• March 1 – Auckland – St James – SOLD OUT• March 2 – Auckland – St James – SOLD OUT• March 4 – Sydney – Taronga Zoo – SOLD OUT• March 5 – Hunter – A Day On The Green – SOLD OUT• March 6 – Sirromet – A Day On The Green – SOLD OUT
March 7 – Brisbane – The Triffid – SOLD OUT• March 9 – Canberra – ANU• March 11 – Adelaide – Womadelaide• March 12 – Yarra – A Day On The Green• March 13 – Meredith – Golden Plains -SOLD OUT• March 17 – Melbourne – Corner Hotel – SOLD OUT• March 18 – Melbourne – Corner Hotel – SOLD OUT• March 19 – Perth – A Day On The Green – Kings Park – SOLD OUT