This is another really quick, easy recipe that’s good to keep in the back of your mind for when you need to make some pre dinner nibbles that won’t take too long. I make them with cream cheese, but you could easily use sour cream instead. And top with anything really – thinly sliced cold roast beef with horseradish cream, leftover roasted veggies, whatever you might have in the fridge.
Sheets of puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees C and line some baking trays with baking paper.
- Using a sharp knife cut each sheet of pastry into 16 even squares. Then cut diagonal lines into each square, but don’t meet in the middle, leave an uncut square of a few centimeters. Each square will have 4 diagonal cuts in it.
- Place the squares on the trays and lift a corner of each cut and press into the center so you have a windmill effect. Continue with eh other 3 corners. When all the squares have been cut, brush with egg and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook for about 12-15 minute sour until puffed and golden. Allow to cool on wire racks.
- Top each windmill with cream cheese, a piece of smoked salmon and some chives.