This recipe is adapted from one I found at taste.com.au It was gluten free, I just changed the flour to wheat flour. This slice is best eaten on the day it is made as the meringue tends to weep a bit the next day and sort of slide off the filling. However eating it briskly has never been a problem in our household.
125 grams butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup self raising flour
¾ cup ground hazelnuts
2 tablespoons cocoa, sifted
¾ cup Nutella
2 egg whites
½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a slice tray with baking paper.
- Combine butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, flour, hazelnut meal and coca in a bowl and mix til well combined. Spread into the tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove form oven and allow to cool. Spread the base with the Nutella and set aside while you are making the meringue.
- Increase the oven to 220 degrees C. Using electric mixers beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and beat until all the sugar is dissolved. Spoon onto the Nutella, and use the back of the spoon to make small peaks.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Allow to cool then cut into squares or bars.