This isn’t so much a recipe as an idea for constructing a delicious breakfast or brunch. Several years ago my kids and I started making this for breakfast on Christmas day, and now we make it for most special occasions – birthdays, Easter, mother’s Day. You could make your own croissants – I did it once, it took forever and although they tasted nice they weren’t a patch on a good quality bought one. You can of course use whatever ingredients you like, we’ve workshopped it a bit and this is our absolute favourite combination. Now, how long til the next celebration?
Scrambled eggs (see below)
Scrambled eggs –
1 egg per person, minimum 2 eggs
Dash of milk
Pinch of salt
Grind of pepper
Knob of butter
- Although this is a simple dish, you need to be aware of timing so that everything is ready at about the same time, so this is the order in which I do things.
- Get all the ingredients out on the bench and heat up the grill. Split the croissants in half and place on a baking tray or rack. Place all the scrambled egg ingredients except the butter in a bowl and mix well.
- Place a saucepan on the stove, add the butter and heat until the butter is foamy. While this is happening pop the croissants under the grill.
- Pour the scrambled egg mix into the saucepan and stir with a spatula, making sure it doesn’t cook too quickly on the bottom. While keeping an eye on the eggs turn the croissants over.
- Remove the croissants form the grill. Keep stirring the eggs, and remove form the heat when they are almost done but still creamy – they will continue to cook after the heat is turned off.
- Spread half of each croissant with cream cheese, layer with smoked salmon, spoon over some of the eggs, add a few chives and top with the other half of the croissant. Make sure someone else has a nice cup of coffee ready for you and enjoy.