I first made this as a birthday cake for a fined who loves orange and dark chocolate. The cake can be adapted any way you like – fill with M and M’s, Smarties, Skittles, use milk or white ganache, whatever. However you make it, your guests will be delighted when the secret inside is revealed!
185 grams butter
¾ cup (165g) sugar
1 cup (150 grams) self raising flour
½ cup (75g) plain flour
1/3 cup (35g) cocoa
½ cup (125mls) milk
Ganache – whatever recipe you like
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees C and grease and line a ring cake tin and a plain round cake tin that is the same circumference.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a food processor / hand mixers, add the eggs one at a time. Then add the flours, cocoa and milk. Mix until just combined.
3. Pour most of the mix into the ring cake tin, and enough into the plain cake tin so you have a thinnish layer. This will be the top/lid of the cake. Bake for about 20 minutes, remove the thin top cake. Continue baking the ring tin for about another 20 minutes or until done.
4. Turn cakes out and allow to cool. Meanwhile make the ganache and place in the fridge to thicken.
5. When the cakes are cooled make the hole in the middle of the ring cake larger – the bigger the hole, the more lollies can fit in! Place the ring cake on the serving plate. Fill the hole with lollies and top with the thin flat cake.
6. Cover the cake in ganache and decorate as you like. Pop in the fridge to allow the icing to firm up a bit more, remove from the fridge before serving.