I’m not a fan of salted caramel, but this slice really works for me. I found myself with half a packet of pretzels and didn’t know what to do with them, so had a go at putting them in a caramel slice. The result was pretty good, so here is the recipe.
100 grams butter
120 grams / ½ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
340 grams / 2 cups plain flour
30 grams butter
395 gram tin condensed milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup
few handfuls of pretzels, roughly chopped
100 grams cooking chocolate, melted
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C and line a slice tray with baking paper. To make the base place the butter and sugar in a food processor and mix until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs and the flour and blend – the mix will be crumbly but don’t worry.
- Tip the base mix into the slice tray and press down evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
- To make the topping place the condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat until simmering, being sure to stir well so that it doesn’t catch on the bottom. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture begins to turn golden. Remove from the heat and stir thorough the pretzels.
- Remove the base from the oven and spread evenly with the pretzel mix. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove for the oven and allow to cool. Drizzle the slice with the melted chocolate in whatever pattern you like, then slice in to squares.